Quick Search

Tibetan singing bowl music,sound healing, remove negative energy.

528hz solfreggio music -  Attract Wealth and Abundance, Manifest Money and Increase Luck

Your forum announcement here!

Free Advertising Forums | Free Advertising Board | Post Free Ads Forum | Free Advertising Forums Directory | Best Free Advertising Methods | Advertising Forums > Other Methods of FREE Advertising > FFA's and FFA Blasters Directory

FFA's and FFA Blasters Directory FFA's are being used by internet marketers everyday. They are great for adding one or two more sign-ups per week to your free to join programs, and they only take minutes to use.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
please23001

Default Windows 7 Key NO THANKS WHY YOUR ACKNOWLEDGMENT P

NO THANKS: WHY YOUR ACKNOWLEDGMENT PAGE SUCKS. By Emily G. Look, no one is denying that writing books is Hard Work. And no one,Windows 7 Key, least of all me (I'm an editor), is denying that a lot of people are involved in the making of a book, a lot of gratitude-deserving people at that. In many cases, it has taken a near-literal village of agents,Windows 7 Pro, editors, publicists, designers, production managers and sub-managers, angelic hand-holders all, many of whom have actually been more instrumental in the writing of the book than the person
whose name is on the spine. So what I'm saying here is not that these people don't deserve to be thanked. Far from it. I'm saying that they sure as hell don't deserve to be thanked stupidly, floridly, incoherently and just plain badly.

To appease the geeks and industry insiders who really need to know who agented,Office Enterprise 2007 Key, edited, publicized and so forthed the book, I propose a straightforward film-style list of credits on the last

page. No adjectives will be necessary. No author will ever again burst through the fourth wall, effusively praising and faux-modestly protesting and thanking and thanking like a weepy Gwyneth Paltrow in ill-fitting Ralph Lauren, because it just won't be the thing to do anymore.

Also, a rainbow-maned unicorn will fly me to work each morning.

OK, so acknowledgments will continue to exist. I suppose all I can do is provide a list of DON'Ts to help make sure that they do not continue to suck as ridiculously and egregiously as they do now.

When I first thought of this helpful list, I planned to spend days canvassing Barnes & Nobles, tracking down only the most heinous examples of Bad Acknowledgments to share with you here. But then I realized that:
Two recently published books encompass in their maudlin thank-yous everything that's wrong with acknowledgments today.

I am lazy.
So, sorry, Chuck Klosterman and Steve Almond, but you guys are taking the fall. Don't feel too bad for them, people: They sooo asked for it, and also they have more money than you do.

Rule #1: Don't Thank A Dead Person.

This one is fairly straightforward. Unless you personally knew,Office 2010 Download, say, Spalding Gray (Chuck) or, more improbably, Abraham Lincoln (Steve), it is not appropriate to thank him. I don't care if he inspired every single word on every single page. Thank him in your prayers, in the pages of your diary, in a post on your little-read blog. He does not care about being thanked in your acknowledgments, because he is dead, and to everyone else,Office 2010 Professional Key, it just looks like you are name-dropping a person who you can safely assume will not deny knowing you, and that's just tacky.

Rule #2: Don't Thank A Deity.

I don't know what is up with people who have found God, but they seem really insecure about God's continued approval, like He is their quasi-abusive boyfriend or neglectful Dad or something, so they have to keep thanking Him every five seconds. Klosterman thanks God for helping him to write a shortish, go-nowhere, cutesy book about a brief road trip he took to rock stars' death sites. This is kind of like R. Kelly thanking God for helping him to write a song called "###### Weed," except less hilarious.

Rule #3: No Nicknames.

Seriously, this is not the place for the creative little made-up monikers that people have always hated and have only tolerated because you are a famous writer. The only reason anyone wants their name in the acks is to help them get jobs in the future, and if you refer to them only as "Young Bull Patterson," (Steve) their goals will not be furthered, unless their goals are rodeo-related.

Rule #4: Don't Namedrop.

OK, you are a famous writer. You probably know some other famous writers. This is not the place to randomly list all of them and then exhort your readers to "find and absorb" their work " immediately . . . [it] will cure you." (Steve, unfortunately).

Rule #5: Don't Nickname and Namedrop Simultaneously.

"Tommy Perotta." (Steve again. Steve doesn't quit!)

Rule #6: Don't Thank People Hierarchically.

Chuck first thanks the people without whom "the book could not exist," and then, some page-distance later, he thanks another list of people without whom the book "could still exist, but it would be substantially worse." This begs the question: How many more people would it have taken to make the book good?

Rule #7: Don't Swing Madly From Throwaway Jokes To Forced Gravitas.

OK, this is the part where I basically have no choice but to quote the latter half of Steve Almond's acknowledgments, which, incidentally, appear in his short-story collection The Evil B.B. Chow and Other Stories, the other 232 pages of which are intermittently good and entertaining. I can't even critique this shit because really, there are no words. Steve goes from thanking:

"Playboy . . . [who] have yet to extend me an invitation to the Mansion, not that I am bitter," to thanking "anyone -- I mean anyone -- who takes up the holy office of making sentences, songs, paintings, those artifacts which serve as testament to our otherwise unarticulated fears and wishes, and last but not least Abraham Lincoln, a man of astonishing eloquence and moral courage, who died, many years ago, for the sins of this country. Let us, in this age of unremitting grievance, choose as he did: to love, to sacrifice, to forgive."

Wait, I was wrong: there is a word. The word is: BAAAAAAAAARF.

In closing, I just want to plead anyone out there who might be about to publish a book to have pity on the world, look out for your own best interests, and keep your acknowledgments spare or nonexistent. Your readers, trust me, will be thanking YOU.

Emily G. works in publishing. She will no longer be acknowledged by anyone, ever.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
1obh8t8p3c
Major General

1obh8t8p3c is on a distinguished road

Belgian curator of exhibition today's lucky draw prizes, a diamond necklace worth 4,tory burch online,999 yuan. Xin Xin Shen Xinmin return
live out the award-winning mobile phone number, Shanghai Oriental notary notary notary doing. Xin Xin Shen Xinmin return

site network exclusive coverage】 【Xinmin May 18, Belgium A 13-year-old who lives in Minhang District, Shanghai Zhaoxing girl winning the prize is a diamond necklace worth 4,999 yuan.
evening, 18:00, Belgium, lined the entrance hall, visitors hear a Diamond Award and specially selected here come. Reporters asked about the stage of tourists around the lottery are only sending a message that participants take a chance only. 18:18, curator of the Belgian tourists were invited to an on-site press the keys out of today's lucky winner. When staff told the news when the winner,tory burch wedges, the other on the phone after another in disbelief. Staff said, as she has no identity, so must your behalf by their parents.
According to Wang Yi said that the project leader, SMS cost 1 yuan / article,tory burch flip flops, today received a total of about 30000 SMS. Activities of all proceeds will be used in a charitable project than cooperation, that all processes are in the Shanghai Oriental under the notary notary public, and charitable organizations in Shanghai, with all proceeds going and communications company, after all the inputs into charitable projects. He also disclosed that
According to reports,tory burch us, the Shanghai World Expo closing, all mobile phone users in China can participate in the Belgian Pavilion,tory burch flats, During the event, Belgium 17:00 every day off the phone platform, and ten were invited to draw Expo visitors supervision by one of them located in the 18:18 draw. Draw all the day after the end of the phone number to send text messages all the zero and 17 hours after sending an SMS text message cell phone number included in the next day. The winning numbers will be a day in Belgium on the big screen in front of Hall announced the winner can to Belgium or the Belgian Pavilion Pavilion Shanghai Office to collect their prizes, winners can choose the field to accept the award by mail. (Newman Network reporter Shen Xin Xin)
1obh8t8p3c is offline   Reply With Quote